When do I hire a Public Adjuster?

AAAPublicAdjuster  Public adjusters have been around for over 100 years, but it seems many insureds aren’t aware that hiring a public adjuster is an option. Public adjusters negotiate settlements on behalf of the homeowner and fight for the  maximum settlement. A licensed public adjuster  in Trenton, NJ is your best defense against your insurance company and will ensure you have enough funds to repair your property.

Public adjusters can be hired after an initial settlement offer, after a claim is rejected, or when there is a suspected claim. A public adjuster will inspect a claim free of charge and determine whether it is necessary to file a claim.  A licensed public adjuster will educate the homeowner about their polices and help them make the most informed decision.

Public adjusters are licensed by each states’ department of insurance and are the only type of adjuster that can negotiate on behalf of the insured. The three types of adjusters are listed below:

  1. Coporate/Staff Adjusters- These adjusters work for insurance companies and also work solely for the interests of their firm.
  2. Independent Adjusters- Independent adjusters also work for the insurance company. If there is large accident such as a flood, insurance companies may be short regular staff. They would then need to hire adjusters who can work for them on a short term basis. Sometimes insurance companies downsize their companies and prefer to hire adjusters for short term assignments.
  3. Public Adjusters– Public adjusters are hired by homeowners to get the maximum settlement for their claim.

Public adjusters are not paid hourly (beware of any public adjuster who charges by the hour), instead they are paid on a contingency fee basis. A small portion of the settlement will be awarded to the public adjuster once the claim is settled. Typically, public adjusters will work on for a fee in the range of 15%-30%. The larger the claim the smaller the fee.

Once a public adjuster is hired by an insured they will begin the claims filing process. Their responsibilities are to evaluate the damage to the structure, create a scope of loss, document the claim, value any affected contents, and present their findings to the insurance company. The public adjuster will present the claim and negotiate for the fairest settlement with your insurance company adjuster.

Has property damage recently occurred at your home or business? Request a free consultation with a public adjuster in New Jersey, PA, DE, MD, Virginia, and North Carolina by filling out a contact form on our website, or by calling 1(800) 410-5054 today.