Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Damage by Plumbing Leaks?

Your homeowners insurance policy should cover any unforeseen and unanticipated water damage due to a plumbing or a broken pipe. Though,, most property insurance policies exclude damage to your home that happens over time, such as a slow, continuous leak, as well as damage due to flooding. 

Also,, some kinds of damage that are related to water damage, such as mold or fungus, may not be covered under your standard homeowners insurance policy depending on the cause. Still, if you want coverage, it is possible to add an endorsement to your policy. Ask your insurance provider if this is possible.

Your homeowners insurance policy should, in the most part, cover any unforeseen and accidental water damage from a plumbing system failure, such as a broken pipe or leaking water heater. Water damage from plumbing failure may bring about enough damage that you will need to repair part of your home, replace destroyed personal property and conceivably live out of your house for a period of time. Fortunately, there are three different provisions in your homeowners insurance policy that will provide coverage if your house has sustained water damage from a plumbing system failure:

Building coverage: Your home insurance policy’s building coverage provision provides coverage for your homes structure, such as the roof, walls, ceilings and floors. If your home is damaged by a covered leak, your building coverage will help you out. Dwelling insurance also covers your home’s built-in appliances, such as a range, if they are damaged.

Property coverage: Your homeowners policy will reimburse you for personal property, such as furniture, area rugs and clothing, that is destroyed when a plumbing loss causes damage to your home. However, certain items, such as jewelry or collectables, may only be covered to a certain limit, unless you add an endorsement to your policy.

Additional Living Expenses (ALE) coverage: ALE coverage, also referred to as loss of use, will cover you if you have to live out of your home and move into temporary living quarters, food expenses, and travel if your home cannot be lived in due to the damage.

For example, if water started overflowing from your toilet while you were not at home, it could cause significant damage. The water will cause ceiling, walls, and floor damage below. 

In this case, you would be covered by your homeowners insurance. Once your claimed has been filed, an insurance company adjuster will be assigned to your claim and, ultimately, visit your home to inspect and assess the property damage. At this point in time, it is extremely important to retain a public adjuster. The insurance company adjuster represents the insurance company, not you. They have incentives not to pay the claim properly. A public adjuster assists the insured in properly getting paid on their claim for the damages they sustained. Public Adjusters are experts in the policy conditions, provisions, and exclusions. Many are experts in estimating building losses. It will be well advised to hire one prior to the insurance company adjuster inspecting your home.

What kinds of plumbing damage aren’t covered by home insurance?

Homeowners insurance policies typically do not cover property damage that results from normal wear and tear, backed-up drains, sump pump overflow, and flood unless you have an endorsement onto your policy for these types of losses. Keep in mind, the plumbing part that fails is usually due to normal wear and tear and will not be covered, but the plumber’s access will be covered as outlined in the homeowners insurance policy. Again, it is important to hire a public adjuster to navigate this process.  

While covered water damage does include plumbing malfunctions and burst pipes, it is important to understand that certain situations or types of damage are not covered such as lack of maintenance, sewage backup, and flood. The claim process is daunting. Hire a public adjuster to help you through the insurance claim process.

If you have experienced any type of property loss, it is time to call AAA Public Adjusters. You can reach us 24/7 at 800-410-5054.

About AAA Public Adjusters

AAA Public Adjusters, LLC, is a property loss consulting firm headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. Additional offices are located throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and North Carolina. AAA Public Adjusters have been fighting insurance companies for over 25 years. AAA Public Adjusters, Maximizing Your Claim!